Memo from a Teen to Parents

| No comment
  • Don't scold me. It makes me resent you. Advise me gently. I will listen. 
  • If you don't like my behavior, tell me you don't like it and show me your sadness not your anger. I hate seeing you sad because I love you. I will try to behave better. 
  • Don't nag at me. It puts me in the defense and I won't listen to you. 
  • Tell me my mistake once and tell me firmly. Then don't ever tell me again. When you keep in telling me the mistakes I made, I feel that you don't respect me.
    When I feel that you don't respect me, I purposely do more mistakes to make sure you get hurt like you are hurting me.
  • Don't call em 'Stupid!' Explain to me what is right instead. Be kind and I will love you forever. 
  • Don ever call me a nuisance. It hurts me very deeply. Ask your self, what if your spouse calls you a nuisance - how will you feel. Perhaps then you will know it is very wicked to call a person a nuisance. 
  • And lastly, don't forget to Allah created me. He loves me a lot. He gave me to you as an Amanah - trust. Treat me with care and affection. Guide me with care and affection. Talk to me with care and affection. 
Adapted from: parenting@soundvision.com
Pic source: http://onyasagala.blogspot.com/2010/11/me-vs-my-parents.html